Hanna’s Gown Redesign (After) 7.20.2011

Hanna brought me her mother’s gown to redesign.

We kept the unique seaming on the bodice true to the original design, with the addition of gathered english net and chantilly lace. Hanna’s sleeves were shortened and re-cut to feature the beadwork original to the wrist area of the gown. We kept the english net light and transparent over the beaded areas of the bodice and sleeves to showcase the delicate handwork original to the dress. Her neckline was changed to a soft v-neck and the overall silhouette slimmed to a close fit. The new skirt featured layers and layers of english net over a chantilly lace over the original fabric from the watteau train that we removed. On the hem of the english net is over 35 yards of cotton lace. We kept the original juliet cap, reinforcing the pearl details and added new embroidered veiling to finish it off. There are just too many design details to mention! I had such a blast working with Hanna and her family, and am honored to be trusted re-working a family heirloom.

Here’s her before again, for comparison.

Hanna’s Gown Redesign (Before) 7.13.2011

Hanna brought me her mother’s gown to be redesigned. We decided to take some photos of her in is so we could have some good before and after photos. Hanna had very few requests as far as design goes – lower the high neckline, and change the silhouette. I can’t wait to show the final product.

Here are some work-in-progress photos to see how it’s coming along.