Brenn’s Custom Bridal Gown Redesign

Brenn’s custom gown began as a dress purchased at a vintage shop in Europe. We reused the original lace from the skirt and part of the flounce on the bodice, and incorporated five other new coordinating laces or nets, and a new, fully nude colored lining to keep the dress light and sheer, yet completely modest. Brenn was a blast to work with! And something about her dress made me seriously homesick for the woods of Massachusetts, and reading Emily Dickinson poems on the lawn.

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 1

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 2

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 3

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 4

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 5

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 6

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 7

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 8

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 9

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 10

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 11

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn 12

Jessica-May-Bridal Brenn before after

Christy’s Gown Redesign

Christy brought me her dress, wanting a few modifications. I changed her square neckline to a sweetheart neck, and added beaded alencon lace to build up into a queen-anne neckline.  I also added buttons, and lace applique’s to the back of the hem, adding a train where there was none.

Hanna’s Gown Redesign (After) 7.20.2011

Hanna brought me her mother’s gown to redesign.

We kept the unique seaming on the bodice true to the original design, with the addition of gathered english net and chantilly lace. Hanna’s sleeves were shortened and re-cut to feature the beadwork original to the wrist area of the gown. We kept the english net light and transparent over the beaded areas of the bodice and sleeves to showcase the delicate handwork original to the dress. Her neckline was changed to a soft v-neck and the overall silhouette slimmed to a close fit. The new skirt featured layers and layers of english net over a chantilly lace over the original fabric from the watteau train that we removed. On the hem of the english net is over 35 yards of cotton lace. We kept the original juliet cap, reinforcing the pearl details and added new embroidered veiling to finish it off. There are just too many design details to mention! I had such a blast working with Hanna and her family, and am honored to be trusted re-working a family heirloom.

Here’s her before again, for comparison.

Hanna’s Gown Redesign (Before) 7.13.2011

Hanna brought me her mother’s gown to be redesigned. We decided to take some photos of her in is so we could have some good before and after photos. Hanna had very few requests as far as design goes – lower the high neckline, and change the silhouette. I can’t wait to show the final product.

Here are some work-in-progress photos to see how it’s coming along.

Makenna

Makenna brought me her mother’s gown. Here it is completely redesigned, with new neckline, waistline, new buttons, sleeve length and two silk duppioni sashes. Her veil is cut out of the original dress as well. Makenna’s mom wins the award for BEST Mother of the Bride. Seriously, I can’t even believe how calm she was about letting Makenna completely redesign her gown. It started off as an empire waist, baby-doll style with long sleeves, high neck, and gathered train coming out of the empire seam in the back. (Mom says she’ll bring me photos!) Thanks to Makenna and Mom for an enjoyable, non-stressful experience!

Photos by Jessica Law. For more photos, see here, or here.